As a child, I often longed for those premade Easter baskets I saw in the supermarket but I didn’t know how much fun it is to put together an Easter basket until I had my own kids. No wonder mom always insisted on reusing the same baskets each year, and filling them with toys and candy that she knew we’d love! I try to limit the amount of sugar my kids eat, never mind the fact that chocolate peanut butter eggs won’t last more than 24 hours in my presence, so keeping our Easter baskets candy-free serves a dual purpose. Here’s a list of my favorite non-candy treats to put in my kids’ Easter baskets:
- Coloring Books and Crayons- Easter themed ones are always a hit and I try to stock up on ones for the following year during the after-Easter clearance sales.
- Stickers- Also fun if they’re Easter themed, but any will do, especially if they are of a character or theme you child loves.
- Bubbles- This will keep the kids entertained, and out of the house, while you put the finishing touches on Easter dinner.
- Hairbows and Headbands- Little girls can never have too many hairbows and headbands. Plus they’re small can fill in empty spots in your daughter’s Easter basket.
- DVDs- My daughter is going to get a DVD with the characters of her favorite television series or one that helps her improve her newfound love of dance.
- Sugar-free Gum- Xylitol sweetened gum is a favorite at our house. No only does it taste great, it can help prevent tooth decay.
- Tutus- At Girls Crochet Headbands, we have tutus in a dozen colors; there’s sure to be one that you’re little girl will love.
- Play Dough- Buy some at the store, or check out the guide to making homemade play dough from Tammy’s Recipes.
- Leggings- For use as part of her Easter outfit or not, a pair of colorful leggings or leg warmers will surely make getting dressed fun for your little princess.
- Nail Decor- Nail polish or stick on decals will make your little girl feel like a grown up and provide her with a few hours of entertainment.
- Bubble Bath or Bath Crayons- Bath time’s always more fun with these!
If you’re little girl’s wearing one of our products this Easter, don’t forget to snap a picture of your her and enter our monthly photo contest for the chance to win a gift certificate to GCH! Which kind of Easter baskets do your kids get? Which items are going in them this year? Tell us in the comments!